Monday, April 26, 2010

Clean Eats on the Cheap

OK. We're broke this week. (But by choice, because I decided I really wanted to spend $150 on concert tickets to see Jewel... !!!!)

Luckily, my pantry & fridge are well stocked, so I've been making things stretch. But when it came to dinner time I was a little worried. My friend brought in a tv dinner for lunch that looked really yummy, but was full of sodium and preservatives. Eeek. So to the grocery I went. Her dinner had penne pasta, marinara sauce, broccoli, and grilled chicken. A couple of weeks ago I cooked up a bunch of chicken breasts, so I didn't need any of that.

At first I grabbed some tomatoes, carrots, and onions inspired by the Eating Clean mag's Chicken Pomodoro recipe, but it quickly added up to $10+, a little more than I wanted to spend being super-broke. So I headed to the pasta aisle in hopes of finding something that would be relatively clean. The first 6 jars I picked up had sugar in the ingredients, including the generic organic brand. Finally I found a brand that worked!



I found this at our local discount grocer, Shop 'n Save. It's available at Jewel-Osco, Acme, Albertsons, Cub Foods, among other places.

For a 1/2cup serving there's only 90 calories, 6g fat (0 trans) and 2g fiber. The only downside is the 380mg of sodium, but for the price ($2.88 I think) it was well worth it. I ended up also buying their spicy Arrabiata sauce as well. I'm going to be cooking that up with some lean bison meat. Hopefully Dan doesn't get Pasta-ed out...

Weigh In: 199.9 Whoo-hoo! Goodbye 200lbs.

No comments:

Post a Comment